Code covered contractors are reminded that from 1 September 2018, the ABCC will treat any failure to report disputed or delayed payments as a breach of the Code.
Disputed and delayed payments to subcontractors must be reported to the ABCC as soon as practicable after the date that payment is due. Further detail on reporting obligations and a security of payment reporting form are available on the ABCC website.
This reporting obligation was announced in July at the commencement of the ABCC’s security of payment campaign aimed at creating awareness of payment obligations and rights under the Code for the Tendering and Performance of Building Work 2016.
The campaign also asks code covered contractors to:
- make payments in a timely manner
- resolve disputes reasonably and cooperatively
- document and follow their dispute settlement process
- not coerce or pressure subcontractors regarding payment
- comply with any adjudication determinations.
For further information and to report any disputes or delays visit abcc.gov.au/securityofpayment.